KidsCan! is a non-profit organisation in the rural Kleinmond area, South Africa, that helps 35 underprivilege and vulnerable primary school children become contributing members of society by offering a safe after school care centre where they receive a daily meal, can improve academically, and are given opportunities for self-development.
What We Offer
- Daily devotionals and weekly Bible teachings.
- Provide a healthy, balanced meal at lunch time.
- Assist learners with their homework, reading and mathematics.
- Offer a life skills development programme and other educational, physical and creative activities.
- Children have access to computers and the Internet for school projects and learn basic computer skills.
- Plan and execute special holiday programmes.
- Children also have time to play, relax and have fun.
- Arrange annual special events and outings for the children.
Our principal, Judy May Oncker, is a qualified ECD Level 5 practitioner.
Teacher’s Assistant, Althea Oliver, is a qualified ECD Level 4 practitioner.
Every afternoon, after serving lunch, our staff help each child to complete his or her homework for the day & assist our volunteers.
Weekly ten volunteers come to the centre to help the children with reading & mathematics, teach chess, give religious instructions, arts & crafts, creative writing as well as caring for animals.
During our holiday programmes volunteers teach anything from art, caring for the environment to safety & security.
- KidsCan! works amongst communities in the rural Hangklip-Kleinmond area, situated along the Cape Whale Coast of South Africa.
- Children aged 6-11 attend the after school centre.
- Our DSD registration allows us to accommodate 35 children.
We have two areas where homework is done & learners have access to computers for school projects & to learn basic computer skills. The girls have their own dolls house & the playground has a Jungle Jim that the children love to play on.